First thoughts, impressions and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First thoughts, impressions and comments

Dear authors and creators, first of all - many thanks. Your version # 3 is beautiful and magical!
    Now I'm getting to know her in demo mode and decided to write some of my thoughts and impressions about the new redesign.
    I really hope that you don’t harbor any grudge against me ) So.
    What are the first impressions of working in the program:

1. Intuitive tool operations:
    - "Reset function" with the right button: it was very convenient (in version 2) when you work with some instrument and then you could return to EDIT with the right button. You get used to this and - when you work with other tools (for example, with brushes) - you want to use the right mouse button to switch to Edit as usual. This does not happen, alas, and this is somewhat annoying.

- Brush size (!): The increase / decrease of the brush occurs either when you "grab" the adjustment slider with the mouse and drag it, or when you move the cursor over this slider and rotate the mouse wheel. But for God's sake!
    Do the +/- on the keyboard as well (this is practically the de facto standard for this kind of stuff!)
    - And the force of brush pressing - (just like in Photoshop!) from 1 to 0 digits.
    It is very inconvenient when you have to break away from the "work area" and move the cursor to the side just to change the size of the brush! Thanks.

2. Masking tool.
    - there is not enough color assignment to the mask. When everything is black, it's bad. This is very bad ... difficult to see - where there is a mask and where not. )) I would like (for example) to make the mask red or green. Add this feature, please. - and further. Guys, with all due respect, you've never worked in zBrush, right ?!
    In addition to the brush, make a "selection mask" with the cursor.

When I have a complex object, with many hollows and depths ... and I need to diligently "paint over with a brush", it is very annoying.
    Very. Especially if I cannot "climb" the brush "from below". It would be very cool if you could take a lasso or a rectangle and - bam-m!! - select the whole object at once. And if you need to correct something, then (as in Photoshop, my dears - nothing needs to be invented!!!) - press Shift/Alt and select again ...
    Well, this is so logical, especially considering that we are all we work in photoshop and in z-brush.

4. What does not always work correctly and the tool does not have the "Fix / Edit" function:
    - having selected several points in the Edit mode, it is impossible to move them all (the selection is reset).
    Perhaps there is a way, I intuitively (!) Did not find it.

- In Edit mode, you can select multiple vertices at once, but you cannot select multiple edges. Why?
    What am I not doing as a user? Or why is this obvious (!) Function not working?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	658

- When creating Tubes, edges sometimes "twist".
    There is no way to fix it - for example, select one of the ring and "rotate" (or "rearrange edges").

- When working with a grid (Patch), there is no possibility (or I obviously did not find it) to edit the position of already drawn points on the lines (before creating the geometry). But it is enough to add (for example Alt / Ctrl / Shift + left / right / middle button) to adjust the location of the point on the drawn path.
    You have to (in case of any mistake) do Ctrl + Z and draw again. This is annoying.

Just see how this feature is implemented in Geomagix Design X.
    No offense, but working with curves and mesh is much easier and more convenient there. Alas, they only issue a grid for CAD ... Alas!
    https://youtu.be/UpcBDlJwzhI

Watch the video and you will understand what I am talking about. If you do something like this, you will be supermen!

- When working with ribs, well, these "L" and "R", which constantly "crawl" out from under the cursor, are very annoying.
    It would be much more logical and convenient to bind this function to a service key: only then (!), when I want to select a Loop or Ring on the edges, I press (for example) Alt and then and only then these "L" and "R" appear.

- Speaking of Loop and selections. Why do vertices remain when Loop is removed?
    I have to delete them manually afterwards. It would be cool if the "Preserve Vertices" checkbox was added.
    If it is inactive, then the vertices are removed along with the edges. This is logical!

5. The Draw tool is completely (sorry) goofy, despite the number of settings. Or you need to post a detailed video tutorial on how to work with it. Sorry.

6. The Bridge Tool is great !!
    But there are a few caveats. - in the Feehand Lines mode, the last polygon is created whatever, but not a quad. Plus, at one point, two are created!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	657

- in Straight Line mode there is no way to just connect 2 dots! For some reason, additional polygons are being created.
    I was unable to defeat this "surprise", alas. Although it would seem so simple: we take two points ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	659

7. What is missing:
    - There is not enough check of the finished mesh for integrity and "closedness" (as, for example, in Autodesk Meschmixer - the "Analysis" function, which shows mesh faults), as well as highlighting "random" edge points that do not belong to anything and could "get lost "inside geometry.

- As an option, return (in the settings) the assignment of a custom color to the "working" and "edge vertices": it was very convenient.

- The Extrude tool lacks the "Connect closest / extreme" function. I think it would be useful, I don't know.
    So far, after Extrud, you have to connect the points manually.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_125.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	656

- There is a lack (for me personally) of the "Mark an edge as Hard Edge" function. That's real.

- And also a very cool feature would be "Autocomplete" or "Connect": when you select 2 rows of edges, and the program offers options for connecting the mesh (this, of course, can be done manually, but it takes longer, and you will not always figure out what what to connect with).
    Because in such cases, Patch for some reason does not work, alas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	655

For example: 5 to 3, or 5 to 2, etc. There have been ready-made solutions for such moments for a long time.

That's all for now.
    If I find something else, I will definitely share it with you. And thank you for your patience and a wonderful program!
    Last edited by Krass; 04-01-2021, 08:12 AM.

And the biggest drawback - is sorry-sorry-sorry! - this is the impossibility to hide the wrong side and details of the background.
    Because of this, working with complex objects turns into some kind of entertainment for masochists))

Because of this problem, it is often very difficult to correctly understand the shape of the original mesh.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.8 KB ID:	661Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_141.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	662

Moreover, disabling snapping to the background does not always work, and points - sometimes - "stick" to edges that are far in the background. This nullifies all improvements and new tools. Alas...
    And I really hope that this problem will be solved and fixed in the very near future!
    Last edited by Krass; 04-02-2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

It is still not enough (or I did not find this function) of checking the finished mesh for polygon intersections.
      Everything looks great in Topogan, but as soon as the model is placed in Rizom UV, you can immediately see that the polygons intersect on the thin wall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	665Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	666

Unfortunately, this defect cannot be seen in any of the views (transparent, wireframe, etc.) in Topogan.

Comment

Working...
      X